Data & Tools Download
Complete SVI documentation is available for each year under the Data banner, Download Type.
The SVI geospatial data formats have evolved over the years from Esri’s geodatabase format (.mdb) for 2000 and 2010, to Esri’s shapefile format (.shp) for more recent years. Years 2014 and 2016 are also available in .csv text format. The range of file formats means the data can be used in ArcGIS 10.0 or higher, QGIS (free and open source), Microsoft Access and Excel, as well as other commonly used software packages.
Our suggested citation:
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention/ Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry/ Geospatial Research, Analysis, and Services Program. Social Vulnerability Index [Insert 2016, 2014, 2010 or 2000] Database [Insert US or State]. data-and-tools-download.html. Accessed on [Insert data year].
For detailed information on the development of the SVI, please see A Social Vulnerability Index for Disaster Management, published in the Journal of Homeland Security and Emergency Management.
American Community Survey Toolbox
- calculates margins of error for user-derived data;
- calculates coefficient of variation (CV), a measure of relative error for comparing error across a study area;
- determines, using Census specifications, statistically significant difference among enumeration units over space and time; and
- helps the user determine a suitable classification scheme considering data uncertainty.
For more information on the ACS Toolbox, please see the Community Survey (ACS) Toolbox.
- Page last reviewed: February 8, 2016
- Page last updated: May 19, 2016
- Content source: